How to improve your Influencing/Persuasion skills?
- January 22, 2016
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Knowledge Bytes
How often are you expected to achieve certain results which need cooperation of people you don’t have a direct control/formal authority over. In today’s increasingly democratic and inclusive corporate environment, you cannot force/coerce people to do what you want. If you want people to act the way you want, you better have good influencing/persuasion skills.
So, what is influence? According to dictionary.com, Influence is “the action or process of producing effects on the actions, behavior,opinions, etc., of another or others”
How to influence?
- Know your influencing style: Understanding what your influencing style is can help you make tremendous progress as you can analyse your approach and bridge the necessary gaps.
- What is in it for them: The more clearly you can answer this question, the easier is it for you to influence your target. You should be able to articulate/assert to your target audience the benefit of following the path that you are suggesting.
- Be clear on negotiable and non-negotiable: This can help you to prepare for situations where you need to flex and accommodate the needs of your target audience
- Watch your body language: Being friendly and calm helps you in increasing your influence. You should also be aware of a few Do’s and Don’ts
- Smile and show friendliness
- Remember people’s names
- Listen carefully
- Focusing on what you can influence
- Getting people on your side
- Focus on your areas of concern
- Being aggressive
- Being desperate/trying too hard
- Talking too much
- Being indifferent